One of SELF Magazine's time saving tips suggested that on Sunday, you make these mini frittatas in muffin tins and now you have a protein-pack breakfast on the go for the rest of the week. Just pop 'em in the microwave for a minute and off you go.
What a brilliant idea! So I tried it out, adapting the ingredients from the healthy turkey bacon and feta cheese and bell peppers to bacon and cheddar cheese and some tomatoes.
I also doubled the SELF suggestion and made total of 12 egg "cups", 6 for me and 6 for Brandon. One cup for me in the morning followed by a few pieces of fruit was enough. Brandon would heat up at least two.
I left his in the fridge at home, and I brought all 6 of mine to the office. Super convenient!
Make-ahead Daily Egg Breakfast "Cups"
This recipe makes 12 cups.
One dozen eggs
A splash of milk
Spices of your choice: I use a dash of garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
Salt and pepper
This one is totally up to you. But what I like is this.
Bacon pieces (I chop up 1/2 lb. or 8 slices of bacon and fry it up in a separate pan.)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped and seeded tomatoes...or halved grape tomatoes, 2 per cup.
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease your 12-cup muffin tins well. (Trust me. Scraping baked egg/cheese out later was no fun.)
2. Whisk the base ingredients together with a whisk or a fork until well blended. Fill each cup with the mixture, leaving room to add your "stuffing". You may have a wee little bit of egg mixture left at the end.
3. Add your stuffing to each cup with cheese going on last.
4. Bake for about 13-16 minutes until golden. Leave on the rack to cool. Pop them out and store them in the fridge.
5. Reheat in the microwave for about a minute.